Thursday, December 11, 2008

Yum, Yum!

The other day in the supermarket, I spotted an intriguing looking spaghetti squash (it was wearing high heels and WAY too much make-up). I had heard something about them being a healthy alternative to pasta and was curious. I bought it even though I had no clue how to cook it or include it in a meal, nothing. I could have cut open the squash and scooped out tiny Christmas elves and it wouldn't have surprised me. I had no clue what to expect from the thing!

I did what every ignorant person does: I googled. I typed in "spaghetti squash and chicken" and an awesome little recipe popped up. I tried it out last night and let me just say, it was effing spectacular! Hold on for a second while I pause from typing and pat myself on the back.

The kids didn't do cartwheels over it but they aren't exactly food connoisseurs, unless of course you're talking about chicken nuggets. They know them some chicken nuggets!

Wanna try something new for dinner? Try this on for size, you won't be disappointed!

Spaghetti Squash and Chicken Skillet
3 Tb Butter or Margarine
1 c Sliced fresh mushrooms
1/3 c Chopped leeks (I used asparagus. Because I love it and want to have it's babies.)
1/4 c Chopped celery
3 Tb Chopped sweet red pepper
3 Tb Finely chopped fresh parsley

2 c Cooked spaghetti squash (I cut mine in half, placed in a glass dish with a little water and microwaved for 10 minutes, then I used a fork to scoop the "noodles")
4 Boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into thin strips
1/4 c Crushed seasoned croutons
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Seasoned pepper
1/8 tsp Garlic powder

1/2 c Sour cream
2 oz Shredded Swiss cheese (1/2 cup)

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and next 4 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until tender.
Add spaghetti squash and next 6 ingredients, cook 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
Stir in sour cream, cook, stirring constantly, just until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat.
Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 1 minute.

Quick. Easy. Healthy(mostly). Try it! Your bellies will thank you!

1 comment:

Show some love, leave a comment. I do comment back by the way. Because I like to have the last word. :-)