Monday, February 16, 2009

My Heart Fluttered

I think that romantic gestures are things that remind you why you love your partner. The idea that romance has to do with flowers and chocolate and candlelight is simply ridiculous.

That's where men go wrong, you see. They often try to follow a template for romance, a step-by-step guide on how to woo their women. But it never works and even though they are trying hard it doesn't garner the results they are after.

One of the most incredibly romantic things that Howie ever did was actually for another woman. A very small and gorgeous little woman named Birdie, our daughter.

It happened Valentine's Day 2006. I was at home with Birdie, who was three years old at the time, when the doorbell rang. I kind of knew that Howie would be sending me flowers for Vday so it wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise was when the delivery man asked for a Ms. Birdie Steeler instead of me.

She came bounding from the living room to accept a single rose in a thin vase that anchored a set of decorative, mylar balloons and a princess card. The card read, "Love Daddy."

She squealed with delight and didn't stop talking about her flower and balloons for the next five hours. When Howie got home he asked her, "did you get a delivery today?" This made her scream, jump up and down and run through the room to retrieve and show off her Valentine. He scooped her up for hugs and kisses and told her she was the most beautiful and special girl who ever walked the earth. She glowed.

I smiled at him and he said, "I just want her to learn from an early age how she should expect to be treated by a man. Because she's special and should never settle for anything less."

My heart fluttered. And I never loved him more. Because in that moment he affirmed that I am the luckiest woman in the world.

10 comments:

  1. Awwwww... what a great man! :) That is absolutely the sweetest thing I have ever heard! How romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid Valentines. Now that even melts my grumpy little heart. How totally sweet. I can get all mad at a three year old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's SO sweet!

    My dad used to take me to lunch, saying, "she's my sweetheart, the wife's at home" for Valentine's Day, when I worked for him (from 13-29 years old).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got all teary-eyed over that one... What an awesome guy! Little Birdie will probably never forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You see, and that is the kind of reaction that a guy wants to garner when he does something romantic. Something that will make the women go "awww", *sniffle*, *tear*. Something that will make the women swoon.

    Flowers just don't cut it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Just stopped by to read from some other mommies :)

    This is so cute and too true. Points to the husband!

    ReplyDelete

Show some love, leave a comment. I do comment back by the way. Because I like to have the last word. :-)