Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Heppy Berthday To Me

It's my birthday. I turn 34 years young today. Howie let me sleep in which was glorious. He got Bubba ready and packed for school and took him and Birdie to the bus stop. I heard nothing. I don't think I even moved for as deep in sleep I was. The only thing that woke me up was the smell of chocolate cake.

He and Birdie baked me a cake this morning. It was even frosted when I came downstairs at 8:30. I had some for breakfast. Because it's my birthday and I have permission from the universe to break all the rules!

I got a few home-made cards and some lovely flowers. The simplicity of it all is heartwarming. I love the fact that Howie spent time searching for the right poem online so that he could make me a card. That says so much more than running to the store to pick up a card. I love that he has chocolate frosting all over his shirt from making me my birthday cake. It makes me smile.

Birdie made me a card that said, "mom you are a butercup cuse that makes you speshull. Love Birdie, Bubba and Bear. Plus she gifted me one of her favorite books. They are too cute!

My biological father called me this morning as he does once a year on my birthday. It was nice to hear his voice. Even though I'm not terribly close to him or would even go as far as to call him my father, there is still a connection there. He's the only thing even close to resembling a parent that I have left and the fact that he remembered to call me before he went to work was touching. it was 6 in the morning his time (California time) and he was still groggy but he managed to sing me a happy birthday in his deep, heavy Mexican accented voice. "Heppy Berthday to jew. Heppy Berthday to jew. Heppy Berthday dear hair (her). Heppy Berthday to jew." I also got to talk a while with my step mother who is one of the sweetest women around. She has never been anything but loving and accepting and welcoming to me and in a strange way, I feel closer to her than my dad. I guess it's just a woman thing.

Howie took the day off so that we could spend some time together. I can't remember a time when we were both at home during the day without the kids around. It will be weird to talk to him in the daylight without interruption.

We're going out for dinner and a movie tonight. I'll be sure to take some pictures. But only of the stuff that is G rated :)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, it's sweet that your bio dad calls you every year! You may not have the greatest relationship (God knows I don't with my dad) but he tries and that's what counts!

    And don't be so, uhh, "busy" that you miss the movie! ; )

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a marvelous birthday! Glad it was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane from Ohio

    Your birthday sounded so very special! You certainly deserved it and you have a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete

Show some love, leave a comment. I do comment back by the way. Because I like to have the last word. :-)