Monday, October 12, 2009

My Sick Little Dwarf

Bear woke up vomiting Sunday morning. There is nothing quite as powerful as vomit to stop your plans dead in their tracks. You could be going 100 mph and come screeching to a halt the instant one of your children barfs. The poor girl was just not herself. She was droopy and watched TV all day, which in our house is a big no-no. She didn't eat anything except a few tbspns of chicken soup and the nibble of a saltine cracker. She drank only water and Gingerale which I spiked with Pedialyte because she refused it on it's own. Not that I blame her, it's seriously disgusting. They try to sell it to you and make you believe that your kids are going to love it. "Now it comes in bubblegum flavor too!", as the camera pans to a child happily drinking the stuff. Yeah right. The stuff tastes like salty water. And maybe it's just me but adding grape or cherry or bubblegum flavor to salt water, doesn't exactly sound super appetizing. They don't fool me and they sure as heck don't fool the kids. And yes, I know...Gingerale is not the best thing to give her as it has sugar but at this point it's the best choice and I figure since I'm spiking it here and there, she is getting some electrolytes and that's better than nothing.

I have no clue what she's got. I'm guessing she has gastroenteritis because well, she honestly had countless opportunities to catch it. On Friday I took them to a petting zoo where she let a goat lick her tonsils. On Saturday she went to dance class with a bunch of sniffly little girls and that afternoon we took her to our town fair where she touched God knows what. And lets just be honest here but the fair is just about one the filthiest places around. She ate a hot dog and pop corn too. So honestly, it would have been a miracle if she DIDN'T pick something up.

She didn't go to church yesterday. She is staying home today too, no Y for us. She seems happier this morning; smiling and playing and talking. She already seems much better than yesterday when she laid in bed barely able to lift her head as Howie and I stood over her, me with a puke pan ready. Him pulling the covers up and rubbing her back. Both of us were hovering like she was on her death bed. It's simply un-nerving when your child is vomiting and feeling yucky. It's so much different than a cold or a cough.

She's not "Sneezy" but she is "Sleepy" and "Grumpy" and a little "Dopey" and she might need a "Doc" if she continues to feel this way. She also has a low grade temp although I am going mostly by touch because she isn't the best temperature taker in the world. Lets hope that she continues on a path of continued recovery. And lets also hope that it really is a stomach virus and not a cold or flu. The last thing I need is three sick kids on my hands.

This leads me to a question I would like to pose. Are you guys going to get flu and or swine flu shots for your kids this year? I always get them vaccinated and probably will again this year if the pediatrician has available doses (they've been out since the beginning of last month). It's just such a tough decision for all of us and I wondered how you all feel about it.

16 comments:

  1. *sigh* I am going to get them the regular flu shot but I am really torn about the H1N1 shot. I just think that is a lot of vacinne at one time. I don't see how your body can process it. There was a little boy in my oldest kid's class who had the H1N1 flu and he faired just fine. Like I said I just don't know about the second shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm leaning towards the same as you. I am thinking regular flu no H1N1, especially since they are healthy kids. But it is a lot of responsibility, what if they get REALLY sick? Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But "what if" they don't and you are putting crap in your kids that you find out later is bad for them? That is what freaks me out the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely. That's the terrifying flip side!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I know that we had this conversation the other day and I said "no way" to H1N1 shots because my kids are tough and healthy and I'd rather the immunities. Well, this morning I read this article and I think that I've changed my mind.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33243690/ns/health-swine_flu/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. That was a great article. Well, not great in what happened to that poor little girl, but great information. It's so hard to tell what or could happen! At this point I have no clue. I lean back and forth nearly every hour of the day. Sometimes I say "absolutely" to both shots. Sometimes I say just the regular shot and sometimes I say no to both of them. I'm just so confused and unsure which is the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We typically do not get flu shots. A sensitivity to medicines runs in our family, and a flu shot nearly killed my grandma years ago. The regular flu shot is only for the most common type of flu, typically respiratory (and pneumonia is a bad thing, yes) but does nothing for the pukey/trots variety. That is what my dr told me last week.

    I don't think the H1N1 vac has had enough testing for me to put my kids forth as guinea pigs. I was an infant when the last swine flu vaccination horror went down, but my Grams remembers it and told me enough to make me think long and hard about it. I learned about virus mutations in microbiology, and there are many varieties of flu viruses out there.

    It's all about what you are comfortable with, risk wise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and I hope Bear is feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. usually get flu shots for my Boys. My youngest seems to have week lungs and after a bout with RSV I do what ever I can to keep them all out of the hospital.

    I will probably do both flu shots but on separate visits perhaps a month apart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! Unfortunately, today was not a good day for Bear. She pretty much stayed in bed all day, didn't eat much of anything and puked a few more times. I called the doctor who confirmed that it is probably a stomach virus. Apparently it has been going around and will most likely last a few more days. Poor girl! She looks terrible and I'm getting worried about her. Even though the doc's said that I'm doing everything right, I'm worried about her urine output. I have been giving her sips of water/pedialyte/gingerale every 5 minutes for the last several hours and while she hasn't vomited, she hasn't peed either. If things don't get better by tomorrow, she's headed to the ped's office!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow my 6 year old girl was also puking this weekend. but only hr and not me or my son. I think it is just a cold though ... because she had went outside friday morning without a coat. Says my sister in law who was watching her for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scooter has his regular flu shot already the other Spawn get their flu-mist shot tomorrow.
    I'm not sure about the H1N1 only because my pediatrician thinks Bubba already had the swine flu. I'm not sure she's right. If that was the swine flu that was the mildest illness I've EVER seen AND no one else in the house got it.
    When they get decent amounts in, I will probably get the kids shot.
    I've had the flu one year that was was enough to convince me I never, ever, EVER want to do that again if I can avoid it.

    P.S. Popsicles and Otter-pops work wonders for sick kid. It's not ideal for getting fluids in them, on the other hand it gets fluids in them. Hope Bear is feeling better soon and I hope no one else comes down with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Regular flu, not the swine. I feel like we're the test crop.

    I hope she's feeling better! Puking kids are no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, and I hope you're able to get some sleep. It is soooo unnerving when they're vomiting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor baby - nothing worse than having a sick child. First thing I thought of was H1N1 so was relieved to read it's not that. Hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. stomach stuff is no fun... my kids use to call for their dad, because I'd end up throwing up right along w/ them.

    ReplyDelete

Show some love, leave a comment. I do comment back by the way. Because I like to have the last word. :-)