Saturday, August 6, 2011

Growing Old Is A Privilege

I turned 36 this month. Ah yes, the big three-six. I suppose that means I'm closer to 40 now than 30. Wonderful. Excuse me while I take a moment and pop a Geritol.
I'm kind of resigned to it now. Thirty was really hard but now I'm starting to settle into those thirties. I'm getting used to it. Sort of.
I don't dwell on it but still, it's not something I would shout from the rooftops.  I wouldn't want the kid behind the counter at the liquor store being all, "whoa, thirty six!" any more than I would want the nurse at the doctor's office to declare my weight out loud when I step off of the scale.  I would prefer they both just keep it to themselves.
I suppose that I just don't want to hear it out loud because hearing it makes it so real.  And a little painful.  I guess you could say that I'm not exactly accepting my age with full vigor.
This is why it was such a delightful change in perspective when I made my bi-weekly meals-on-wheels run today and chatted with one of my deliveries. I was dropping off food for a spunky white-haired woman named Charlotte when she promptly greeted me and with a slight tremple of excitement, announced that she is "going to be ninety three next month. Can you believe it!?"
She normally likes to talk about the weather or her favorite sports team but today it was like she had been standing at the door, just waiting for the opportunity to tell someone that she is going to be NINETY THREE!
It made me very happy to hear this from Charlotte.  Perhaps her excitment and joy had rubbed off on me.  She was posititively beaming with surprised enthusiasm when she said "ninety three!"  Much like the time that I finished a 5K and could hardly believe that I had crossed the finish lined and survied to tell the tale of actually running THREE POINT ONE MILES!
Or perhaps I was happy at being able to share in this new perspective about aging.  Charlotte wasn't bemoaning the fact that she's headed toward the big one oh oh.  She was simply grateful for the accomplishment of making it this far.   And what accomplishment that is! She was basking in the glow of the privilege of growing old.
Truth be told, making it to 36 is a pretty big accomplishment, too.  I've enjoyed countless amazing moments.  I've fallen in love and had babies and laughed until my belly ached.  I have survivied without losing a limb or getting seriously ill.  There is so much for which to be thankful!
Sure, I'm not as perky as I used to be. I have saggage in unfortunate places and my mane has sprinkles of grey in it. I have laugh lines that show how much I've lived and laughed and loved. But they make me beautiful.
So I'm going to say it here and now, loud and proud.  I'm THIRTY SIX! Can you believe it? THIRTY SIX!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love, leave a comment. I do comment back by the way. Because I like to have the last word. :-)