Thursday, January 26, 2012

Should We Stay Or Should We Go?

As I was driving home today and crested the hill immediately before the turn to my street, it dawned on me how many times I have made this turn and how familiar it has become.

We've lived in our house for almost eight years now and my body has almost completely memorized the trip and the angle at which our minivan ascends the hill, so much so that it will instinctively brace itself in anticipation of the movement.

My stomach will also anticipate the slight lurch that happens when we pass the top of the hill and immediately go downhill, causing a slight sinking feeling similar to what you feel on a roller coaster.

The movement has become like a dance between me and my minivan.  We have been through these same maneuvers together so often that we cling to each other in anticipation of them to the point where I could probably do it with my eyes closed.

I suppose this serves to remind me how in sync I've become with the rhythm of my life and how comforting those rhythms can be, like a slowly rocking chair that lulls us to the feeling of absolute surrender and rest.

I can't help but think of these things while we consider the possibility of relocation.  Moving brings with it the promise of excitement and opportunity and adventure; of new beginnings and fresh starts.  But at the same time, it seems so terrifying to leave a place that I know so well, whose curves and turns and rises and falls I have become so accustomed.  

It's fun to experience new things and reach new horizons but it's also just as satisfying and wonderful to know what's around every corner.

3 comments:

  1. Very well played Blog title - I like it!

    I came to your blog from Jon Acuff’s site. He has created a tremendous forum for sharing our blogs and impacting more people with them.

    I hope my blog can be an encouragement to you also.

    I write it for encouragement and motivation daily.

    http://i-never-fail.blogspot.com

    Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to watching the connections grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change can be bittersweet, but after awhile, what we left behind is only a memory.

    Best wishes with your upcoming decisions, metaphorically, expressed so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anita! I'll never forget a professor's advice as I stood on the precipice of leaving college and heading out into the world, miles from home. He said, "It will be scary and you'll be lonely. You'll find yourself weeping in a corner, wishing you had never left. But then the days will start to flow into each other and it will just become your life, a life that you will love." Nobody has ever spoken such wise truth to me!

    ReplyDelete

Show some love, leave a comment. I do comment back by the way. Because I like to have the last word. :-)