Monday, January 30, 2012

Slacker!

I took on a volunteer position with one of my kids' schools this year and have been doing a pretty good job (if I say so myself).

Then I got sick.  That was three weeks ago and I'm just now working on getting rid of my second (or is this one my third?) sickness.  I hesitate to say "cold" too loudly because if it hears me, it might come running and lick me on the mouth. Again.

Needless to say, I sort of let my volunteer duties slip a bit.  And boy did I ever hear about it.

Hmph...

No matter.  The frustration of hearing what a crap ass job I'm doing is totally offset by the thousands of dollars that I pull in every year at this VOLUNTEER thing.  For real, instead of going in and doing my duties in a timely fashion, I propped my feet up and counted all of my money instead.

And next time, instead of staying home when I'm dripping, sneezing or vomiting, maybe I will come into the school.  And drip and sneeze and vomit all over the kids.  Because that bulletin board isn't going to decorate itself, people.

All kidding aside, I suppose these situations do give me the opportunity to reflect on how I'm not always patient with others.  And how we would all do well to give each other the benefit of the doubt and even extend some grace from time to time.  We all have bad days and during those times, we're all doing the best we can.

7 comments:

  1. I hate it when I feel completely unappreciated for doing things. I guess words of encouragement is my love language, because that type of thing really burns me. I should probably be better about it, but I don't seem to notice until I get really angry.

    FWIW, I think its silly to even WANT someone around kids when they're sick!

    (from the 99% blog hop, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. Life is like that. Thanks for linking up in Exposure 99% weekday blog hop. I look forward being part of your blog. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone wants to be appreciated. It is a small act of kindness really, to say, "Thanks, I appreciate you." Appreciation will move mountains and as I understand, it outranks money in the workplace. Just sincerely say "Thanks, you did a terrific job" Great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by ladies! Love meeting new readers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. homeroom mom, team mom... any mom...is pretty at thankless job! but we knew that going into it right?!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah. I'm not really looking for a pat on the back. I just don't want to be hissed at if I don't happen to be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you looking for professionals who can help you outline, plan, execute, organize, re-organize and manage your business or its different processes? If yes, then George Mitges and Associates Inc. has the right strategic guidance you need.George Mitges agri food industry consulting provides a wide-ranging expertise in agribusiness and personalized consulting service to the production agricultural community over 30 years

    ReplyDelete

Show some love, leave a comment. I do comment back by the way. Because I like to have the last word. :-)