Monday, March 19, 2012

It's Showtime

This past weekend, my oldest daughter performed in a theater production for the first time.  She is in a group of a bunch of 4th and 5th graders and these kids, wow, these kids did an amazing job.  They were funny and engaging and carried the whole story with ease.

I have to admit, I was a little worried about them.  Last week, I dropped by one of their rehearsals and to say they were nervous, was an understatement.  They were all "dropping lines" as my daughter says.  I asked what that means and she said it's "what we in the business call it when you forget your lines."  Because, you know...she's "in the business."

That night I found her crying in her room because she was so nervous.  "I've got butterflies!" she said.  She considered dropping out entirely because the idea of performing in front of a group of people seemed like a terrifying prospect.  I tried to comfort her and soothe her and tell her how she knows all her lines and how she should just be in the moment and act as if nobody was there watching.  This didn't work.  Finally, I told her what my 7th grade band teacher said to me when I was about to perform a solo and thought I was going to crap my pants.  "Just pretend they are all in their underwear.  That old man over there, he's wearing superman underpants."

This seemed to help but I was worried that she'd crack under the pressure.  No such thing happened.  The day of the show, I walked past the bathroom where she was standing in front of the mirror combing her hair.  She looked at herself as she made jazz hands and said, "it's SHOWTIME!"  That's when I knew she'd be just fine.

And she was.  Better than fine.

2 comments:

Show some love, leave a comment. I do comment back by the way. Because I like to have the last word. :-)