Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Rejection Slips

So, in the spirit of honesty and full disclosure, I want to share how things turned out with the children's magazine submissions. A few weeks ago I submitted some children's stories to some magazines.  I'm no where near ready to consider writing a children's book but I figured that magazines were a good place to start.  I sent out four.  All four were rejected.  I just got my last two rejection slips this past weekend.

Do you hear that? It's the sound of taps playing dramatically in the background.

I have to say though, I'm really glad that I did a lot of research, studied my Children's and Illustrator's market and was prudent and obsessive about my submissions because while I still got rejections, the rejections were nice.

There was a little check mark next to the standard "It is not suited to our present needs".  It could have been worse.  A lot worse. They could have checked "it lacks a fresh approach, it lacks tight focus, it lacks a strong plot, its age range appeal is not wide enough, we don't find it interesting."  In the grand scheme of things, I got off really easy in the rejection department.  Can you imagine getting a rejection letter that said, "it lacks a fresh approach!" or "we don't find it interesting!"  Ouch! I might never recover from such a blow!

It might sound crazy but I still count these rejections as a success.  Only because they represent action.  I'm not just thinking about it or talking about it. I'm doing it.  And I have the rejection slips to prove it!  I keep thinking of Theodor Gisel (Dr. Seuss).  His first book was called "And To Think I Saw It On Mulberry Street."  It was rejected TWENTY-SEVEN TIMES.

I'm in no way comparing myself to Dr. Seuss.  I'm just saying, if the greatest children's writer in history was rejected twenty seven times for one book, then I better expect a whole lot more rejection slips in my future.  Like as in, there will be barren patches of rainforest caused by all the paper needed to write all of them.  I may not know a whole lot but I'm pretty sure that the road to publication is paved with rejection slips.

6 comments:

  1. Keep that great attitude my friend! I could wall paper my entire house in rejection slips. But every now and then if you keep trying,you will get a bite :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Miss Maven. You and I have come a long way since myspace. You're now a food celebrity and I'm a blogging housewife. Oh wait, I guess I haven't come that far ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! It's grace from Gotham...just saw your response so I thought I'd hop over here and see what your all about. I love your space on the interwebs, too! It seems as if we both have the same thing on our mind: failing & getting rejected! Sorry to hear about your current rejection slips, but we both know that it's a part of our path if were going to really do this "writing thang." lol. =)

    Anyway, we do have a lot in common! Glad to be your new peep outside of class!

    p.s. I love that you said, you "like to have the last word."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rejection stinks - hang in there, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you recognize those rejections as successful action! The only way to get accepted is to risk rejection. Good for you and keep trying! I took my handful of rejections and decided to do my own thing. When you're submitting to book publishers and the wait between is six months, 27 rejections before success is a very long time! I decided to do it my way and self-published! My children's picture book is available from Amazon now!! I'm thrilled, but still kind of long for the validation that you get when a big publishing house decides your writing is good enough to be on their list. I'll just have to rely on reviewers and sales to provide it instead.

    Thanks for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for letting me know about your book. I will definitely check it out! We have to support each other, sister!

    ReplyDelete

Show some love, leave a comment. I do comment back by the way. Because I like to have the last word. :-)