Friday, April 20, 2012

Resorting To Mind Games

(4/365) :: Golf Thursdays
Credit
I've been trying to convince my husband that he needs more exercise.  We both do.  Getting mine isn't such a big deal because I can easily take a long walk during the day but scheduling time for him is much more complicated.

He's been taking a hip hop classes every Tuesday night for the last three months because our youngest daughter begged him to.  He comes home sweaty and in a huge amount of pain, tweaking for Advil and muscle cream.

It's good exercise though.  Thing is, it's going to be over soon and I want him to keep moving.  I've tried all sorts of ways to get him motivated but he's never that interested. He says he's too tired for the gym and since he works really early, it's not feasible to work out first thing in the morning.  He also claims there is zero time during the day to take even a 15 minute walk. I finally had to resort to mind games. This is the conversation that went down in the car the other day:

"So, your golf league starts this week, right?"
"Yeah."
"And do you walk or use the cart?"
"Walk." 
"Is it expensive to golf when you don't use the cart?"
"No."
"Maybe you should start going every Sunday on top of your Wednesday game."
"Really?"
"Yeah.  You work so hard.  You really deserve to get out there and have some fun. I know how much you love it."
"Cool! You're the best." (He's a man of many words)

If this were a movie, this is when I would turn to the camera and smile because you see, this has nothing to do with my fostering his love of all things golf. This has to do with me making sure the man gets a steady 3-4 hours of exercise per week.  Playing 18 holes while walking and carrying your clubs can burn over 1000 calories! But he doesn't know that so SHHHHH. Let him continue to think I am the best wife evah! As far as he knows, his wife is encouraging him to golf because she cares about his swing and he thinks he's died and gone to heaven.  He has the coolest wife in the history of wives.

I am definitely awesome because I managed to make him feel happy, appreciated and lucky all the while getting what I wanted without hurt feelings, conflict or an argument.  Muah ha ha.

Is it a tad manipulative? Sure. But I do it in love and I highly doubt that even if he figures it out, he'd complain.  He came home from golf last night with a huge smile on his face so as far as I'm concerned, it's a win-win for both of us!

5 comments:

  1. You are an evil genius! ;P

    Very cute post.

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see you rubbin your hands together evilly as I speak. If I ever told malcolm to play golf twice a week I think he's drop dead on the spot. Maybe I should start with one day...

    ReplyDelete

Show some love, leave a comment. I do comment back by the way. Because I like to have the last word. :-)