Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Setting A Place For Jesus- CENSORED!

Censored
Credit
A few days ago, I was scheduled to guest post for someone.  But on the day the post was supposed to go live I got an email from the host saying that she couldn't in good conscience let her readers read my blog (which was about setting a place for Jesus at our dinner table) because she had just read my "about" tab and didn't want to expose her readers to my kind of moral depravity.

In my about section I say something about how my blog is about pretty much everything. I'm interesting that way.  I joke and say that I talk about everything from my love of God to my love of David Radcliffe's new sexy body.  Of course, if you know me (or have read me for any length of time) you recognize the sarcasm.  I know that it's wrong to lust. I'm really not much of a luster.  I am; however, sarcastic.  I also assume that she was turned off about my saying something about how you'll find a blog about pubic hair next to a blog about God.  I'm such a heathen.

I felt bad at first because I wondered if I was offensive but then I felt unapologetic.  First of all, I was kidding about David Radcliffe.  He's like, what? Four years old? That's gross.  Second, it would be lying to say I was anything different than who I am in the "about me" section of my blog.  I really do blog about everything from God to pubic hair.  It's not like I talk about God's pubic hair.  That would be crossing the line!

I totally respect this bloggers choice to post (or not post) whatever she wants on her blog.  That's her personal space and I too, reserve the right to post whatever I want.  That part I get.  The part I don't get is how me being jokey and honest constitutes as "bad morals."  Especially when I'm talking about bringing Jesus further into our lives.

Perhaps this was a simple mistake but it feels exclusionary. Like, even though I'm a Christian and love God in ways so big that I can't even describe, I'm not good enough to share how I love him because I made a joke. C'mon Christians- brothers and sisters- we're better than that!   Here is the blog.  I'm sharing it with you because I think it's share-worthy.


Setting A Place For Jesus
At around 5:30 every day, our home falls into a twilight zone.  What is normally a relatively serene and organized house turns into chaos.  Homework needs to be done and dinner needs to be cooked.  My husband isn’t home yet, the kids are hungry, the dog is full of energy and Mommy, well Mommy is on her last leg.  It’s at this time of day when I need Jesus the most.  By this point, it’s been hours since I said my morning or afternoon prayers and my spiritual tank is running on empty.

When things get rough, I have this tendency to try to fix it on my own.  In the morning I pray that God may help me be a better mother and wife, I surrender it all to him but then 5:30 hits, the going gets tough and I’m all, “step aside, Jesus, you’re underfoot!” And since when I ask him to step aside is when I’m most likely to lose control and all sense of balance and wisdom, it was clear that something needed to change.

A friend of mine once told me about how she “sets a place” for Jesus at their dinner table.  He gets his own place mat, plate, cup and utensils.  They do this in order to visually recognize how they welcome him into their home every day and share a meal with him full of gratitude and love.  He is part of their home, family and macaroni and cheese dinners!

I thought this was a great idea but I especially liked the idea that Jesus might actually show up before dinner, like any guest would.  Maybe he could sit at the table and help my daughter with her fractions.  Perhaps he could listen as my Kindergartener struggled to read her sight words.  Maybe he could place his hand on my shoulder as I stir the ground beef.  I loved the idea that he could be there, with me- us, during that tough part of the day.

Not only does it make my life easier to turn things over to him but it also reminds me that he’s watching.  Have you ever noticed that you’re a better mother when someone else is around? You feel a need to be on your best behavior yet when you’re home alone with your kids; it’s much easier to snap?  I’m guilty of this and inviting Jesus to sit at my dinner table every night reminds me that he’s always watching.  What’s interesting is that I don’t feel the pressure to perform for him.  Knowing he’s there, sipping a cup of tea and smiling, gives me a great amount of comfort.  I just hope he likes spaghetti and meatballs!

What do you think? I'm I too depraved for public distribution? Should I be censored?

28 comments:

  1. You guest posted for Acuff... enuf said. (clearly you ARE a heathen).

    This is a great post and even heathens would agree.

    Any time you want to guest post for me, I'll have it!

    WG
    http://itsmynd.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I might just take you up on that offer! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post!

    Her and her readers loss for sure. It's a real shame, when people think you have to be a perfect to be a Christian! God meets us in all walks of life, and He's with us when we shave our pubic hair. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You touched on something- an issue that's been rolling around in my head for a few weeks now, how I don't feel Christian enough.

      It always surprises me how people want to be proper for God, as if he doesn't already know about it.

      Delete
  3. I struggle, in writing and in life, with whether to be the real me or the me that others would like to see. They aren't always the same. My experience is that people normally respond much more readily to the real me. Those who don't, well, if I look at who they are I see that they aren't people who really matter so much in my life anyway. Jesus, the holiest of the holy, never acted holier-than-thou. In fact, I dare say he might be banned from guest posting on that particular blog too - for being real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. People respond best to honesty. I even considered editing my "about" section! I felt like perhaps I wasn't being a good example but then I realized nobody can relate to a "perfect" person. I don't enjoy reading those kinds of blogs. I like it when people can get real and scrappy and through it all, let Jesus guide them. Those are the things that resonate with me. It's probably why Paul is one of my favorite people in the bible. Because he is real and honest and not perfect yet so perfectly used by God.

      Delete
  4. Although I am new at reading blogs (started with Jon Acuff's) I really like this one http://www.theveryworstmissionary.com/. My guess is the person who turned you down would never read this ladies blog. Heart wrenching stuff sometimes and always makes you think. One of my favorite post is the one you did for SCL. It is hard to be real to people and it is hard to let people see all of the dirt, warts and scars in ones life... but once they do and they still like you well you know it was worth it.
    I think you do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over and reading. I'll definitely check out that blog! :)

      Delete
  5. I know I'm the third person to mention it, but I found your blog via SCL and it's becoming one of my favorites. I love it when Christians are honest about every aspect of life and have a sense of humor about it! Anything else just seems fake, even if that's not their intention. You're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that. I agree about reading people who are honest. It's those types of people who inspire me!

      Delete
  6. oh man, what a blow! =( I am so sorry ~ that is a great post and it's the bloggers loss. Take it in stride & keep on writin'! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! Let me know if you want to guest post here!

      Delete
  7. Okay, I admit that I didn't catch the sarcasm when I read your "sexy body" comment in your "About Me." I raised an eye-brow... but then I kept reading your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaa! I know, I can be difficult to read. You should see me in person, I'm a social nightmare!

      Delete
  8. What I love best is honesty in faith. I'm still a novice blogger myself, but I'm trying to keep a point of keeping things real. I actually find the perfect Christians discouraging and stopped reading their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We all know there is no such thing as a perfect christian so when I read someone who thinks they are- I know they are faking it from the get-go!

      Delete
  9. Love your blog, I don't recall how I found it but when I did I loved your honesty and candor. I still read it and I'm not a mommy but I'm a yankee living in the "bible belt" and as a Christian it is so refreshing to read something honest. The first thing I read from a Christian perspective that I could identify with was "Angry Conversations With God" by Susan Isaacs and your blog is the first blog I've come across with such honesty and I love your humor, your storytelling, and how you communicate with God. This is a great post and reminder. Keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement DD. It's nice to know that people like you (people with good taste that is) get it ;)

      Delete
  10. What she doesn't like is EXACTLY what I DO like about your writing. It's real. It's sarcastic. It's funny.

    I am Christian but to be honest with you, I have unsubscribed to online groups, fanpages, and blogs that pretend that Christians are continuously feeling "uplifted" and "blessed" and "joyful!!!" and pretend that because you've accepted Jesus at your Savior, the world is all about unicorns, rainbows, and sugar-coated days. It's phony because it's not. We still struggle. We still ask the question, "Why?" We still feel blue sometimes. And yes...we still have a sense of humor (at least some of us do).

    Never pretend your something you're not. There is a difference between being silly and laughing at one's own life situation and crossing the line morally. Thank goodness, I still have a sense of humor. And thank you for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One more thing...I think I'm going to start setting a place for Jesus at the table, too. But I'm hoping that when he stands next to me with his hand on my shoulder while I'm stirring ground beef, I can feel comfortable enough to hand him the spatula and ask him to finish up while I relax for a minute or two.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's GREAT Diane. I wonder if he'd kick in for take out one of these days !? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please, please, please keep doing what you're doing. The world needs a breath of REAL air from Christians who live our everyday, ordinary and sometimes messed up lives for others to see we are all in this thing called life together. I don't know about you but I am truly exhausted from trying to meet the standards of the mainstream.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think throwing down that burden of trying to be perfect is what I loved most about the idea of turning to God. It's freeing to know that he will fill in the gaps where I fall short. I don't try to make the gaps bigger, I just accept where I fall short. Exhausting is the perfect word to describe what that feels like. As far as I'm concerned, that's the enemies tactic of distraction!

      Delete
    2. One more comment...

      A friend sent this to me this morning and I thought of you.

      http://300wordsaday.com/2012/04/20/how-jesus-would-run-a-blog/

      Worth a couple minutes if you have read it already.
      Jen

      Delete
    3. Loved that Jen. I think I totally needed to read that, to hear that. It made me feel motivated and convicted, especially when it comes to praying about each post. I feel like God has been pushing me further and further from what I used to write about and focusing more on him. I sort of shy away from it from time to time, afraid to go all the way there. I sometimes have trouble not focusing on myself. That's such a huge flaw but one I've recognized and am totally working on! Thanks!!

      Delete
  14. As a Christian of many years, I am thankful for a Christian blogger who is transparent and real. Does the woman think her readers live in a bubble when not reading her blog? Jesus had run-ins with Pharisses too. Count yourself in good company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she has good intentions, to encourage women to strive to fulfill their biblical roles; however, the challenge is to live in the world without being of the world. That's not a challenge if we don't have a choice.

      Delete
  15. Hi, I just started reading your blog, and I have to say, I get where that woman is coming from. I have risen an eyebrow at some things you have written, but once reading over it again, I realised you were probably being sarcastic.

    I do love reading your blog though, and I love that you are so real.

    ReplyDelete

Show some love, leave a comment. I do comment back by the way. Because I like to have the last word. :-)