Saturday, April 21, 2012

Two Things You Should Do On Your Knees

Untitled
Photo Credit
 Have you ever gotten down on the floor and really looked at it? It's disgusting.  Even if you do a pretty good job of sweeping and mopping, the floor is a dirty place!  What looks like a clean floor from the vantage point of standing, looks like a wasteland of cobwebs and forgotten fruit loops from down below.

If you ever want a clean floor, I mean a REALLY clean floor, the kind that gleams and you'd let your kids lick chocolate pudding off of, then you have to do the unthinkable: you have to wash it on your hands and knees.

I know, I know.  I'm just going to stand here and let you throw all of those rotten tomatoes at me.  Just don't aim at my face. That's my moneymaker. :) Notice the title doesn't say, "Two things you should ALWAYS do on your knees."  That's because I know that it's not realistic to do it "always." I'm guilty of considering our floor "clean" if the dog has licked the spilled milk!

I'm just sayin'... cleaning on your hands and knees allows you to put your elbows into it.  You are also less likely to miss a spot.  It's something to do once in a while to make sure that you're covering all of your bases.  On a side note, don't use harsh chemicals, especially when you're cleaning on your hands and knees.  The fumes will kill you. Alright, maybe not kill you but the fumes will make you cough and the chemicals will dry out your hands, mkay? Use a little dish soap and some white vinegar.

I promise, you will accomplish much more when you wash the floor on your hands and knees! Plus, it's good exercise!

Likewise, if you really want a good prayer experience, do it on your knees.  I'm a big believer that you can pray anywhere, anytime, any way you want, so long as you're praying but there is definitely something really powerful about doing it in that reverent position. It's a position of submission, a place where you are less likely to get up and walk away.  Everything you want to say to God: ask for help, serve him, worship him, respect him, is done well from this position.   It helps you focus, it puts you in the right frame of mind.

 I don't always do this either but when I do, I'm reminded that there is something really powerful about making that deliberate gesture of getting on your knees and imploring to God.

O come, let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the Lord our maker. – Psalm 95:6

1 comment:

Show some love, leave a comment. I do comment back by the way. Because I like to have the last word. :-)